Saturday, February 11, 2012

Butterfly Alphabet at the Mt. Vernon Fire House Museum

Franklin County Mt. Vernon, Texas Fire House Museum has an unbelievable Butterfly display!

                           Butterflies  (5)

Below are some of my favorites. Again, I apologize for the awful photos, the lighting in the museum made it very difficult for me to take good pictures. I am sure someone who knew something about photography would know how to do better under florescent lights and glass displays!

        Butterflies  (2)l-1 Butterflies  (1)g  Butterflies  (1)k

They were able to make an Alphabet Card from different parts of several different butterflies!

                                                        Butterflies  (6) 

        (You can click on the photo to make it larger or check it out in the photo album link below)

They have a very large display of butterflies, apparently many years ago, people traded butterflies like people trade baseball cards!

If I remember correctly, this is one of the largest butterfly collections around. The alphabet Card amazes me, it took me a while to comprehend that the letters are actually found on different species. I think it would be interesting to see a side by side card with the whole butterfly they took the letter out of!

Here is the link to the Franklin County Historical Association, they have much more factual information on the butterfly and egg display. Click Here: Franklin County Historical Association

They also had some BEAUTIFUL Old Fashion Cash Registers on display, these were some dandies!

   Cash Registers 01 One was nicer than the next, this was a remarkable collection!

A display of handmade Violins Violins  (1) a lot of Arrowheads and other Native American artifacts. Artifacts  (19) Artifacts  (10) They also had a lot of information on the different kinds of Arrowheads and other tools. Artifacts  (8) I also liked this huge index sheet that they had Artifacts Index  (01) I broke this graph down into 4 photos in my photo album, hopefully large enough for you to be able to read the information provided below each example.

The Firehouse museum was a real treat, it had very interesting items.

Click Here to see my photo album of the Fire House Museum 

Be sure to check out my two previous blog entries for more information on the museum including their Rare bird egg exhibit as well as the Don Meredith exhibit.

Some day I hope to explore  more of the history in this area, If I do… I will post it on here!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Adventures of Shadow the RVing Dog.




Copyright Protected

Archives

        
OLDEST POSTINGS: 03/07/2010  TO  03/02/2011