Wednesday, March 14, 2012

When do Snakes Come out of Hibernation in Texas? (Cotton Mouths)

Apparently today! Some of the guest at the Double S Ranch were on a horseback ride today and they spotted two Cotton Mouths!

They were down by 75 Acres, which is not very close to water. The high temperatures and all the rain has left many grassy areas on the ranch a bit soggy.

Seeing that the temperatures are going to be near 80’s for like the next two weeks with the lows around 60, I don’t think this is just going to be a one time thing. For us, that means probably keeping Shadow on a leash.

He hasn’t had any encounters with snakes that he is aware of, however he did have to walk past one with me between him and the snake when we were in Arizona.  That was a Mojave Rattlesnake and I thank God he didn’t know about!

Here is a link that shares that blog entry: When do rattlesnakes come out of hibernation? 

So I am pretty sure that I am not going to be going out detecting in the woods anymore. Seeing that these snakes were right on the road; I am not sure I am going to be doing much of anything outdoors until we get home!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Adventures of Shadow the RVing Dog.




Copyright Protected

Archives

        
OLDEST POSTINGS: 03/07/2010  TO  03/02/2011